Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Public Transport ...

Gotta love it!

But in all seriousness, yes, I do. In a city as big as Santiago, you can't get around without it. But there's a difference between knowing the one bus stop and Metro route that gets you home, and knowing various routes that will get you out and back no matter where in the city you are. I'm the latter.

Mostly it boils down to the fact that I really do enjoy riding on public transportation. Why? I'm not sure. I do like the camaraderie of it all. I like that you never quite know what could happen. It's better for the environment. Plus, it's both cleaner and cheaper than anywhere I've been in the US, so all in all, what's not to like?

Then there's the control freak in me that can't stand not knowing where I am or where I'm going. With the Metro, it's easy. But that closes at 11 pm - not useful for a night out. So before we go out somewhere new, I always check on the bus map and write down notes if need be. And obviously it's also a matter of personal safety, and like anything it gets easier with practice.

Do my friends make fun of me when I announce that we need to walk 2 blocks west to catch the 505? Yep. Do they raise an eyebrow when I talk about distance in terms of the 4900 to 3500 block? Always. But who do they ask when they don't know how to get themselves home? Who do they call when they don't know how to get to the bar in the first place? And who do they thank when we don't have to pay for a cab? Yours truly. Obvi.

Truly knowing a city implies lots of things, and knowing how to orient and direct yourself is definitely one of them. And if absolutely nothing else, it makes me feel like a real Santiaguina!

1 comment:

  1. Well that reminded us of being together in London when you were but 10. Whenever we'd enter a Tube station, you'd take over the navigating: consulting the map on the wall, seeing we got on the correct train and off at the right stop. That made us proud then, as does handling the job in Santiago en español.

    How do you say "Mind the gap?" en español?

    Love, gma & g'pa

    ReplyDelete