Thursday, September 17, 2009

Reflections: La Católica vs. La Chile

If you remember from an early post about classes, our program offers us the opportunity at 2 different top Chilean universities. They are:

La Universidad Católica: a private, Catholic university, similar to Georgetown and structured more like US colleges in general, and attracts the top students in Chile, but is expensive, so the student body is pretty wealthy

La Universidad de Chile: a public university, 2nd only to La Catolica, still not cheap but known to attract a more liberal/hippie student body, especially in the humanities and liberal arts, and not all that well organized

I took 2 classes at each (3 at La Chile if you count belly dancing) and I'm so glad I did because they offered me a vastly different experience. Neither was better than the other, although many of my fellow abroad students only took classes at La Catolica because they got their course schedule out sooner and in a clearer manner. Neither is the "correct" or "real" Chilean experience, because they offer a glimpse at different parts of society that make up the people of Santiago.

At each school and each course, I made friends with other students; they were friendly and helpful and patient when I had various questions about the working of things. However, it did become obvious throughout the semester that the stereotypes of each student body were basically true. My La Católica classmates were wealthier, more conservative, and interested in a future that will enable them to continue the lifestyle they live now. My La Chile classmates were far more liberal, interested in reform/fighting the man in the academic environment and never hesitated to approve going on strike to prove their point.

Throughout the semester it was interesting hearing different perspectives on everything including career choice, Chilean society, politics, education reform, the treatment of the Mapuche people (indigenous people of Chile), and more. While I was more partial to the views expressed by the students at La Chile, I'm really glad I experienced all viewpoints and could see things from different perspectives.

If you have a chance for a similar, multi-facted experience, take it! It will only enrich the experience and add more dimensions than any part could on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment